December Giving Initiative
North Toronto’s December Giving Initiative this year is to benefit the Anduhyaun Shelter.
It was conceived in the 1960s under the vision of 5 Indigenous grandmothers who recognized the need for an emergency shelter right here in Toronto.
Anduhyaun, meaning “Our Home” in Ojibwa, provides support and advocacy for women and children recovering from the traumas of violence. Please visit their website for more information about their projects and housing options: www.anduhyaun.org
This month we are asking for the NT community’s support to help “Fill the Shelter” with much-needed supplies and gifts. Each class is being asked to collect NEW items and gift cards. Currently, there are several single women and mothers in the shelter, as well as eight children ages 2,5,7,7,8,10,11 and 15. Students should take any donations to the teacher of their Period 1, Week 1 class in the week of December 13th to 17th. Collection of items from those classes will be Friday, December 17th. Items should be unwrapped. Thank you if you are able to donate.
Donation Deadline: December 17, 2021 – 9:00 AM
We are collecting:
- Women’s clothing (sizes S to XXL) – leggings, tops, underwear, sweaters, pyjamas winter jackets, boots, gloves, etc.
- Children’s clothing (all sizes) – particular focus on warm winter wear
- Holiday gifts for women, toys for children, arts and crafts, games/activities, sports equipment, etc.
- Gift cards (denominations between $10 & $20 please) – Walmart, Tim Horton’s, No Frill’s, Loblaws, Mc Donald’s, Subway, etc.
- PPE – Hand sanitizers, 3 ply masks, Lysol wipes/sprays, etc.